Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of questions should I be expected to answer when I am applying for an insurance policy? Why do insurers need so much information?

When you apply for an insurance policy, you will be asked a number of questions. For example, your ACU Insurance  agent might ask you your name, age, gender, address, etc. In addition, you will be asked a number of other questions which will be used to determine how likely you are to make a claim.

Why does my credit union sell insurance?

ACU continues to offer value-added benefits for our members, providing insurance will allow us to better serve our members, by providing a local and convenient way our members by shopping multiple quality insurance carriers from a noncommissioned credit union employee.

Will ACU Insurance review my insurance annually?

Yes, annual reviews are done on all insureds.

Do I have to be an Alabama Credit Union member to apply for an insurance policy?

No, ACU Insurance is available to non-members as well as members. ACU Insurance policies can be provided to residents of the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. ​​​​​​

Who is 7 Insurance?

7 Insurance is our agency partner, they are an independent insurance agency owned by 2 credit unions.

Will I have a local agent?

Yes, ACU has a licensed agent at our branch.

How do I print my insurance ID card?

Print your insurance ID card or evidence of insurance through your carriers website and through ACU insurance application, under the client login page. You must create an online account with your carrier first. If you have difficulty locating this information call your ACU Insurance Agent, for details.

Who should I call to report a loss?

We understand that being involved in a claim can be a stressful time.

What do I do?

  1. Make sure you are safe!

  2. Should I file a Claim?

    1. Was anyone injured?

    2. Did you damage someone else’s property or vehicle?

    3. Is it unsafe to drive/move your vehicle?

    4. Are the damages above your deductible?

      1. If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you should consider filing a claim, with you carrier.

  3. Gather information

    1. Names

    2. Insurance information from other party

    3. Take photos

    4. Names and badge numbers of any officers that responded to the incident

    5. A copy of the accident report

  4. When you purchased your insurance, you selected deductibles for certain overages, such as collision or comprehensive coverage.  Make sure you know how much your deductible is - this will be the amount you'll have to pay out of pocket toward repairs to your vehicle.

  5. Filing a claim with your insurance provider will be recorded on a national data base and could affect your rates for 3-7 years depending the carrier.

  6. You can choose where your vehicle gets repaired, there could be some benefits utilizing a "Network" service center of your carrier, i.e. Limited Lifetime Repair Guarantee by both the Service Center and Carrier.

What is the difference between collision physical damage coverage and comprehensive physical damage coverage?

Collision is defined as losses you incur when your automobile collides with another car or object. For example, if you hit a car in a parking lot, the damages to your car will be paid under your collision coverage.

Comprehensive provides coverage for most other direct physical damage losses you could incur, including theft. For example, damage to your car from a hailstorm will be covered under your comprehensive coverage.

What factors can affect the cost of my automobile insurance?

A number of factors can affect the cost of your automobile insurance – some of which you can control and some that are beyond your control. 

The type of car you drive, the purpose the car serves, your driving record, and where the car is garaged can all affect how much your automobile insurance will cost you.

Even your marital status can affect your cost of insurance. Statistics show that married people tend to have fewer and less costly accidents than do single people.

What kinds of Auto insurance discounts are available?

There are a variety of discounts to help you save on your insurance and reward you for safe behavior. 

Generally, ACU Insurance helps you save with discounts for:

  • Select occupational groups (doctors, RNs, dentists, teachers, police, firefighters, etc.)

  • Homeowners

  • Teens with parents who have safe driving records

  • Drivers who own cars with standard safety features

  • Drivers who own multiple cars

  • And more!

What does "full coverage" mean?

This is an often misinterpreted term, and doesn’t refer to a policy that covers “everything.” Instead, full coverage typically refers to a policy that includes both liability coverage and coverage for damage to your property.

Your Auto insurance Policy Declaration page lists the coverage you have selected, and your ACU Insurance Agent can help you select Auto insurance coverage that fits your needs and budget.

What does homeowners insurance cover?

The typical homeowners policy has two main sections: Section I covers the property of the insured and Section II provides personal liability coverage for the insured. Almost anyone who owns or leases property has a need for this type of insurance. Usually, homeowners insurance is required by the lender to obtain a mortgage.

What if I share my apartment with a roommate? Do we both need to have renters insurance?

Standard renter’s policies cover only you and relatives that live with you. If your roommate is not a relative, each of you will need your own renter’s policy to cover your own property and to provide you liability coverage for your own actions.

What is home insurance, and what does it cover?

Homeowner’s insurance policies, often referred to as “property insurance”, provide coverage that will replace or repair the policy holder’s home in the event of damage. This type of damage commonly includes fire damage, damage from criminal break-ins, or severe weather. Home insurance policies usually extend to appliances and possessions within the house, as well as outbuildings on the property, like sheds, grills, and fountains.

How much does home insurance cost?

Homeowner’s insurance varies by state. On average, a regular homeowner will spend $1,668 annually in Alabama, and $139 per month.

How much home insurance do I need?

A person’s level of coverage will depend on the immediate factors of their area. Some things to consider when determining whether or not one should invest in plans with higher premiums are: local common weather risks, local construction costs, the make and material of the home, the price of the house and the items within, and whether or not one’s home is up to code.

What is business personal property insurance?

Business personal property refers to items that can be moved that are owned by your business. Things like small office supplies, furniture, electronics, and any other movable business items count as business personal property. These items would be covered by commercial property insurance.

How do I get car insurance?

To purchase car insurance, you will need the personal information of you and anyone else on the policy (driver’s license, date of birth, address, occupation, etc.). Then, you will need to decide on how much coverage you need. It’s important to remember that some types of coverage are required depending on your state, like property damage liability, or collision coverage, so be sure to ask questions to the insurance agent you are speaking to. Things like location, driving experience, and demographic information can affect your rates, so it is important to gather as much information as necessary to make the best personal decision.

Should I buy my home and car insurance together?

So long as there are no differences in what is offered between separate homeowners and auto insurance policies compared to bundled policy offers, the decision will ultimately come down to price. Most companies offered better discounts for bundling, but it isn’t a steadfast rule that a bundle will be less expensive, so stay vigilant.

Does home insurance cover plumbing?

Most homeowner’s insruance policies will cover sudden, accidental, and unexpected water damage that occurs due to broken pipes or faulty plumbing. However, it is important to note that gradual damage, like through pipe leaks, is not covered by most policies. Additionally, most insurance policies will only cover piles that the policyholder is legally responsible for.

Is property-casualty insurance a good career path?

Insurance is an incredibly diverce and inclusive field of work, offering opportunities for many different kinds of people to find their niche and thrive. From copywriting to IT to management, many different skillsets are needed to make the insurance business function, and working within the industry is a great way to develop and hone these attributes. From people who are outgoing and enjoy the face to face aspect of working, to people who are at home working with data and numbers, insurance can be the perfect job for a variety of people.